Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno is implementing a USAID funded project in Serbia and is looking for qualified individuals to join our Belgrade based team.
We are looking for
Regulation of digital assets – Senior Tax Expert - Short-term
JOB DESCRIPTION AND STATEMENT OF WORK
USAID Cooperation for Growth Project (USAID CFG), implemented by Cardno Emerging Markets USA is 4-year initiative launched in 2018, whose goal is to improve conditions for broad-based economic growth through improvements in Serbia’s business enabling environment.
The USAID CFG focuses on improvements in the business enabling environment that increase predictability and transparency as well as remove regulatory constraints to economic activity, thereby creating a stronger foundation for investment and facilitating private sector growth.
The USAID CFG provides technical assistance, training, and other support to improve the business enabling environment, build channels of communication between public and private spheres and further develop financial markets.
This assignment will assist the USAID CFG efforts under Objective 1: Improved Business Environment and Related Administrative Efficiency in Selected Areas, Subobjective O1.4: Improvement of tax policies and regulatory framework impacting New Economy (growth-driving SMEs), and Objective 2: Improved SME Access to Finance, Subobjective: O2.3: Diversification of Financial Market.
USAID CFG is providing technical assistance to the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Serbia (hereinafter: MoF) in the process of regulation of digital assets. Aim of the engagement is a provision of expert support to the MoF in the process of regulation of tokens and cryptocurrencies, by identifying open questions regarding crypto-property rights that are relevant for their tax treatment.
Scope of Work
Scope of Work consists of preparing a comprehensive analysis that will serve as a basis for regulation of tokens and cryptocurrencies as sources of external financing.
The short-term Expert shall perform the following activities:
- Identification of open questions regarding crypto-property rights that are relevant for their tax treatment (legal nature of tokens, i.e. cryptocurrencies, taking into account different forms of tokens and cryptocurrencies; nature of transactions of tokens, relation to cryptocurrencies the changing nature of tokens; the ability to track ownership of tokens and cryptocurrencies, etc.).
- Mapping relevant legislative and regulatory sources for regulation of general issues of crypto-property rights in Serbia (domestic legislation, relevant EU directives, etc.).
- Tax treatment according to existing regulations (domestic tax legislation, IAS, IFRS and Serbian GAAR).
- Analysis of comparative tax solutions (EU, USA, Japan-Korea and other applicable jurisdictions), which would also take into account the general legal framework of crypto-property rights which are related to the said tax solutions.
- Preparation of proposals for regulation of tokenization of the Serbian economy, particularly in: a) material aspects of taxation of crypto-property rights, and b) procedural aspects of taxation of crypto-property rights.
- Present, elaborate, and discuss the item above to the MoF, relevant governmental and other institutional stakeholders.
- Drafting legal and regulatory analysis under items above.
- Prepare STTA Completion Report outlining the work of the Consultant and the results achieved.
Capacities Required for Position
- Advanced, preferably academic degree (LL.M. or PhD), in tax law obtained in a reputable academic institution for area of taxation would be considered as an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy and regulatory environment in area of taxation, preferably in areas of corporate income tax and personal income tax;
- Proven ability and experience in conceptualizing, designing and producing comprehensive reports and legal opinions;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in research methodologies and international best practices;
- Prior experience of at least 10 years in analyzing and consulting on tax matters, particularly in areas of corporate income tax and personal income tax;
- Excellent English and Serbian written and presentation skills;
- Prior experience of at least 5 years in managing positions in one of Big4 companies would be considered as an asset;
- Experience working on a USAID or other international development projects is preferred.
To apply please submit a CV and one-page cover letter in English. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Up to 66 working days.
Deadline for applications:
June 27, 2020.