Cardno is an international consulting firm, with expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno is implementing a USAID funded project in Serbia and is looking for qualified individuals to join our Belgrade based team.
We are looking for
Ecommerce Guide for MSMEs Development Experts
JOB DESCRIPTION AND SCOPE OF WORK
USAID Cooperation for Growth Project (USAID CFG), implemented by Cardno Emerging Markets USA is a 4-year initiative launched in 2018, whose goal is to improve conditions for broad-based economic growth through improvements in Serbia’s business enabling environment.
The USAID CFG focuses on improvements in the business enabling environment that increase predictability and transparency as well as remove regulatory constraints to economic activity, thereby creating a stronger foundation for investment and facilitating private sector growth.
This assignment will assist the USAID CFG efforts under Objective 1: Improved Business Environment and Related Administrative Efficiency in Selected Areas, Subobjective O1.1: Develop e-Commerce ecosystem for SME access to markets
Ecommerce has opened tremendous new opportunities for micro, small and mid-size enterprises (MSMEs) to export and grow. Using global ecommerce and payment platforms to connect to tens of millions of online buyers, online sellers are highly likely to export, export to multiple markets, and derive most of their revenue from exports – as opposed to traditional brick-and-mortar businesses of which only a small minority export, and typically only to one or two markets. Developing country governments are increasingly cognizant of the opportunity to use ecommerce and platforms to help MSMEs export and import goods and services, and to fuel inclusive growth in their economies. All of this enables firms to participate in global value chains and directly access customers in foreign markets in ways previously only feasible for large and established companies from advanced economies.
E-commerce in Serbia is still relatively underdeveloped although the market is constantly growing. Serbian businesses heavily underuse the advantages that this way of doing business is offering. According to both the USAID CFG comprehensive Baseline Study on e-commerce in Serbia, and the Government of Serbia E-commerce Development Program for 2019-2020 with the Action Plan (adopted in October 2019), lack of knowledge is the top barrier to e-commerce in Serbia, followed by the shadow economy. Furthermore, the research shows that MSMEs are unable to obtain the necessary information about how to incorporate e-commerce in their marketing and that they lack knowledge on how to comply with the set of laws and bylaws that regulate e-commerce (related to market inspection, tax, customs, etc.).
As a result, development of guide for businesses is set as an activity for implementing the Government of Serbia E-commerce Development Program for 2019-2020 with the Action Plan (Measure 1.1.2: Improving the position of businesses in the Serbian e-commerce market, Activity 220.127.116.11).
USAID CFG Annual Business Survey indicates that companies in Serbia strongly acknowledge the importance of e-commerce. Yet small number of companies own a webshop (12%), and even smaller online payment options (8%), which is the real ecommerce (and instant access to finance and liquidity). Majority of those who do not have a web shop haven’t ever considered creating it (81%). So Serbian MSMEs’ awareness must be raised on the significance and opportunities for their growth deriving from e-commerce.
With USAID CFG assistance in this activity, our primary beneficiaries (prospect MSME growth drivers and firms that are potentially in this category) will benefit from the e-commerce ecosystem that will support MSMEs to develop means to engage in business to consumer (B2C), business to business (B2B) e-commerce and export.
In order to properly attend to the mentioned issues, USAID CFG is seeking local short term experts.
Scope of Work
The short-term experts shall:
- Propose and design methodology and structure of the ecommerce guide for businesses, covering at least the following two areas: 1) best practices in starting an ecommerce business, and 2) strategic models for successfully running financially viable ecommerce operations;
- Draft the ecommerce guide for businesses, covering at least the following two areas: 1) best practices for starting an ecommerce business, and 2) strategic models for successfully running financially viable ecommerce operations;
- Participate in educational/promotional activities for guide ecommerce for businesses;
Capacities Required for Position
- Advanced academic degree in finance, economy, marketing, business or related filed (masters/MBA/PhD would be a plus);
- Current position in business and/or academic sector related to business consulting and strategy, trade, marketing or ecommerce, preferably on senior level;
- Proven, hands on experience, with a track record in designing and drafting documents in business strategy, trade, marketing, commerce or ecommerce, and business/finance area;
- Full computer literacy;
- Excellent English and Serbian written skills;
Capacities Desired for Position
- Skilled writer, with knowledge and application of modern, interactive written teaching methodologies;
- Expertise in trade, business consulting, e-commerce development, marketing or finance strategies;
- Experience in working with business or business associations;
- Experience in working on USAID or other international development/donor projects.
- Prior experience in in-house or external trainings for businesses related to business consulting, trade, marketing or ecommerce;
To apply please submit a CV and one-page cover letter in English. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications:
May 25, 2020